With the volume and speed of data being created and shared at an all-time high, your organization’s sensitive information is likely in a myriad of locations including emails, presentations, spreadsheets, documents, PDFs, videos, and images. Should that data be exposed, it could have serious repercussions for your organization, such as reputation damage, loss of government contracts, regulatory fines, and the unauthorized disclosure of intellectual property.
Having a comprehensive data classification solution is critical if your organization:
- Needs to comply with statutory, regulatory, contractual, or mandated compliance regulations
- Is motivated to protect intellectual property
- Wants to understand where sensitive data is stored and where it is sent
- Has been recommended to do so by an internal or external auditor
- Wants to bolster its security ecosystem and get a better return on investment for other data security solution sets
What is Fortra’s Data Classification Suite for Windows?
Fortra’s Data Classification Suite (DCS) for Windows is an all-in-one data classification solution for Outlook, Office, and Windows desktop that informs both your people and your policies about what data should be secured and how it should be handled. You can find in-depth information for each solution included in DCS for Windows below:
- Fortra’s Data Classification Suite for Microsoft Outlook – Datasheet
- Fortra’s Data Classification Suite for Microsoft Office – Datasheet
- Fortra’s Data Classification Suite for Desktop – Datasheet
Secure Sensitive Data with DCS for Windows
By enabling users to classify emails, documents, and files, organizations can add structure and context to the vast amount of data created every day. This helps to prevent inadvertent disclosure of sensitive data, meet compliance requirements, and enhance infrastructure solutions such as archiving, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Secure Collaboration, and encryption. Features of Fortra’s’ unique and comprehensive data classification solution include:
- Custom visual markings to inform users about the sensitivity of your business content
- Custom metadata, including document properties and email X-headers, to help drive other data security solutions
- Enhanced data security user awareness by enabling your users to classify emails and documents quickly and easily within the Microsoft application they are using
- Multiple layers and types of classification, such as single-select, multi-select, and date controls to provide a deeper level of granularity and security for your business content
- A fully customizable solution to meet the exact needs of your organization’s data security policies
- High-end integrations with data protection solutions, including DLP and Secure Collaboration, providing end-to-end security
- The option for both fully automated and manual classification, and an approach in between, to meet your business needs as required
Key Features and Benefits
|Visual identification and markings
|Visually identifies file sensitivity in Windows Explorer via a classification menu and customizable classification icons. In Microsoft Outlook, visual markings are applied in the email subject line and message body, and in Microsoft Office, visual markings are applied in the form of headers, footers, and watermarks to clearly identify information sensitivity.
|Stores user classification selections with the email or document as persistent metadata that is maintained, even when transferring the file through email or to portable media such as USB drives. Classification metadata is also used to increase the accuracy and effectiveness of DLP, archiving, and perimeter security solutions.
|Classify any file, email, or document
|Enables users to classify and protect sensitive information and intellectual property contained in any file, including PDFs, videos, images, ZIP files, emails, calendar events, and design documents.
|selector Provides simple, non-intrusive ways for users to identify the sensitivity of emails and documents with classification labels including: One Click Classification, classification via prompts, system-suggested, and automatic classification based on recipient, content, and other email attributes.
|Ease of administration
|Provides a centralized, web-based Administration Console for classification configuration and policy management across Fortra’s suite of data classification products. Data Classification generates user activity logs that can be monitored and analyzed to measure the effectiveness of security policies and detect anomalous usage.
|Enforces policy in Office by comparing multiple properties about the information, author, document, and the action being performed. In Outlook, inspects emails for policy violations before the message leaves the desktop, providing instant feedback so that the sender can correct any problems.
|Provides a simple right-click classification menu that guides users when classifying single or multiple files in Windows1.
|Supports Outlook for both Windows and Mac, as well as Outlook Online ensuring the broadest possible coverage across the organization to mitigate risk of data loss.
|Adds an extra layer of security by automatically applying Secure Collaboration based on classification.
1Available for Windows Desktop only
DCS for Windows v.2022.0 Features and Updates
- Fully functioning integration between DCS for Windows and Microsoft Purview Information Protection (MIP) Sensitivity Labels. You can now map MIP Sensitivity Label values to DCS for Windows fields and values, so Data Classification users can process emails and documents from MIP users. When creating documents or sending emails, DCS for Windows will generate the equivalent MIP value, allowing MIP ecosystem functionality to operate.
- Our latest administration product, Policy Manager, is a web-based SaaS solution with a modern administrative interface used to configure DCS for Windows client.
- Improved autosave feature audits only when the user manually saves, vastly reducing the number of events in the event log.
- New custom interface branding. You can now replace the default Fortra logo with your organization’s logo of choice.