The Singapore Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) of 2012 establishes a general data protection law governing the collection, use, and disclosure of an individual’s information by an organization.
With penalties that target the organization and the individual, PDPA strives to entrench the protection of personal data into the business culture of an organization.
The foundation of any data security strategy is to identify your sensitive and regulated data as it empowers users and automated policies to make informed, deliberate decisions on how that information should be protected.
Fortra's Data Classification Suite (DCS) helps organizations comply with PDPA by locating, identifying, and classifying the unstructured data that contains personal identifiable information (PII). Once the data has been identified, DCS helps to enforce the critical PDPA obligations for protection, transfer, and retention.
- Identify unstructured data that contains PII automatically or by user involvement
- Display visual classification markings to inform users of the data’s sensitivity
- Analyse user activity with sensitive PII to detect insider threats
- Alert users about PDPA policy violations and educate them while they work
- Apply encryption automatically to the most sensitive files
- Enforce safe recipient policies to ensure PII is sent only to authorized users
Retention and Deletion
- Apply appropriate retention metadata to documents and files
- Discover and delete redundant duplicate data in local and cloud file shares
- Move outdated information to trash folders for deletion
Promote a culture of security by prompting users to stop, think, and consider the business value of the information they are creating and handling. DCS helps employees follow security policy by providing targeted, interactive security education when handling email and documents – without disrupting everyday workflow.
Align end users with policy to avoid costly and embarrassing PDPA compliance violations with DCS.